Lights in the Heights 2013, Woodland Heights Event
Lights in the Heights (LITH) is almost here again. Here is what you need to know before getting here.
Lights in the Heights is a 26 year old tradition of Woodland Heights. This hundred year old neighborhood is a perfect setting for strolling (not driving) these tree-lined streets and seeing block after block of decorated Craftsman style homes. Not only are the homes decorated, every block on the route has several homes with live music on their porches. Choirs, bells, rock bands, etc. As electic as the neighborhood itself. People give cookies and treat along the way.
So, put decorations on your dogs, light up your kid’s wagon, and join the parade of thousands walking the streets.
This year’s event is smaller. It was getting out of hand. We even had a couple of tour buses last year. These little streets jsut don’t work for buses.
What you need to know before coming:
- Date/Time: Saturday December 14, 2013. 6-9 pm
- The streets invoved: Bayland (Bayland is always on the route) and Woodland. It does NOT include the Norhill Esplanade this year though. It is a shorter route. See map.
- Can you drive it? No, this is for walking. Streets are blocked off an hours before start. The day after would be a good day to drive it though. No crowds, but houses still lit up.
- Parking: Good luck. Get here before 5:00 and park on the street a few blocks away. Woodland Heights is a cool neighborhood to walk through anyway. Lots of decorated house on all the streets.
- Port-potties: Yes, will be on the side streets.
- Food vendors, etc. No…trying to eliminate the commercial aspect of it. So, eat first, unless you know someone giving a party. That’s always the best way.
- Parties: There will be people giving out cookies and hot chocolate. If you have friends here, they will probably be having parties too. Ask around. It’s always good to have a place to warm up, get a snack, before wandering the streets.
- Cost? Nothing, but if you want to support Woodland Heights and LITH, purchase a T-Shit from Buchanans, C&D Hardware, Another Place in Time (all on 11th St) or Ooh La La’s on Studewood
That’s it. Come early for parking and walk the streets, enjoy the entertainment. Don’t pee in the yards, that really pisses people off.