Historic Preservation Fair
The Houston Historic Preservation Fair is Sat May 18, 2013. The half day free event covers covers a lot of issues involving homes in historic districts.
June 21 update: See some notes on this class and learn about Researching Your Historic Home at my 6/21 post.
Some of the topics I’m interested in are shown below. See pdf of entire Historic Preservation Fair Schedule.
- Appropriate Additions
- Appropriate New Construction
- Historic Site Tax Exemption*
- Researching Historic Homes
- Historic Windows**
Register for this free event by noon, May 15th.
- *The info on Historic Site Tax Exemptions should be worthwhile for anyone remodeling or considering doing so in a historic district. A pdf summary of some of the rules is attached. It is believed to still be accurate, but the phone numbers may not be.
- ** The talk on restoring old windows is being done by Gary Cernac, the Sash Guy. “the expert” on renovating old homes. His website has a lot of links to preservation sites.
See details of the Historic Preservation Fair sponsored by the City of Houstons Planning and Development Department
Date: Saturday, May 18, 2013
Location: City of Houston Permitting Center
1002 Washington Avenue
Houston, TX 77002
Registration starts at 8:00 a.m.
Program from 8:40 a.m. 1:00 p.m.
One last link of interest in historic preservation: Salvage Warehouse Just what it sounds like, a salvage warehouse full of old stuff.. Recently re-opened